0161 203 2100
This is the course for those wanting to bring their own creative ideas, skills and passion for dance and performance to a constantly changing industry. For the technically versatile and imaginative dancers, choreographers, community artists, and teachers. A programme for the 21st century dance artist; the performers, the creators, and the innovators.
This practically led course aims to equip you with the technical, creative, collaborative, and entrepreneurial skills to be able to work in a wide variety of contexts. Amongst other things you will; learn a wide range of dance techniques, perform in shows, create work and devise pieces, teach in the community, develop a portfolio including a professionally filmed showreel, work with visiting choreographers and directors, and also create and perform in your own festival.
Dance is a portfolio career and dancers need to be able to teach, create, perform and manage their own marketing and finances. This course will enable you to learn skills, develop and present your creative ideas, have knowledge of marketing materials, project management and financial planning.
Over the 3 years of the programme you will work with a wide range of teaching and visiting dance artists, and you will practical develop skills in at least 14 different styles or genres, these include; commercial, hip-hop, capoeira, contact improvisation and partner work, contemporary, jazz, ballet, tap, physical comedy, acting, singing, acrobatics, aerial hoop, silks, pole, and trapeze.
Applications should have a passion for dance and an interest in developing their technique, skills, choreography, and employability. There are a limited number of places on this course and these will be offered to students who have met the following criteria:
1. Have a solid technical base (intermediate/advanced level) in at least 1/2 of the genres listed above.
2. Have been successful at an audition.
3. Have completed their A-levels/BTEC qualifications and have 200 UCAS points/ OR are a mature student who demonstrates suitable knowledge and skills.
4. Have achieved a C in GCSE English OR equivalent.
Performances, technique sharings, presentations and creative portfolios will be used to assess your learning for 80% of the course. The other 20% will take the form of professional discussions, written applications, research proposals and essays. Students will be required to write one academic essay per year.
This course will prepare you to be able to find employment in a number of dance related careers. 90% of our past students are currently working in the dance and performance industry. They are working as:
– Dancers/ dance captains on cruise ships
– Freelance dance artists
– Dance school owners
– Contemporary and Commercial Performers
– Community dance practitioners
– Company directors
– Entertainment staff in tourist venues and holiday parks